Searching for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for that special someone in your life? You could buy custom canvas prints or printable wall art, but why not give the handmade gift of DIY Valentine’s Day wall art instead? This fun and easy DIY heart wall decor makes the perfect gift for your loved ones.
If you have a few basic supplies, this is an easy project. For adults doing this with kids, please help them with the hammer and nails. Also, protective eye wear is a must! If you don’t have a wooden plank on hand, you can always do this project on a canvas using push pins instead of nails. Or…You can do push pins on Styrofoam. The possibilities are endless. In the photos and video below, I used a heart – which makes a great gift for Valentine’s Day. But you can do anything – stars, moons, initials, whatever shapes you want and in different sizes too! The basic open shapes are for first timers. As always, let me know if you’ve got questions, I am happy to help.
How to Make Valentine’s Day Wall Art with a String Heart
What You’ll Need
Affiliate disclaimer: Although I stand by all of the products I use, I can receive a small commission from any products purchased via my links.
- WOOD PLANK or CANVAS or STYROFOAM
- NAILS or PUSH PINS
- HAMMER (if you decide to use the option with the nails)
- SHAPE OR TEMPLATE
- STRING OR YARN
- SAFETY GOGGLES OR GLASSES
How to Make a Valentine’s Day String Art Heart
- Place a shape or template onto the wooden plank. Use a pencil to mark spaces about 1 inch apart, following the template all the way around. This is an easy way to get your shape laid out!
- Carefully hammer a nail through the template and into the wood on each mark that you made. If doing this project with young children, help them with this step.
- Tie the yarn onto one of the nails and begin to wrap from nail to nail. It’s best to go across the shape and then back, but you can use whatever method or pattern you like the best. You will need a LOT of yarn to completely cover your shape!
- When you’re happy with the way the shape is covered, tie a knot around the final nail and trim the excess.
- Give your beautiful piece of original artwork to a loved one as a Valentine’s Day gift or keep it as DIY Valentine’s Day decor!
I love the way this DIY Valentine’s Day wall art turned out! My students had so much fun making them, and the possibilities are truly endless. Why settle for art prints with generic love quotes when you can make a thoughtful handmade gift instead?
Looking for more Valentine’s Day craft ideas? Check out this list of 50 Handmade Valentine’s Day gifts!