Hello Love! Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Is it necessary to take your special someone to St. Kitts & Nevis or to French Polynesia to get exotic gifts? Absolutely not! Just hop on Amazon and you can make your own Valentine’s Day tumblers right here in the United States! You know I love seasonal items and handmade gifts and these playful tumblers can become your best gift or your best sellers.
Who hasn’t switched their plastic water bottles for stainless steel tumblers by now? They’re a convenient and eco-friendly way to provide a steady stream of caffeine or a keep your favorite beverages cold in a hot car. Transform your ordinary tumbler into a dazzling accessory by creating a custom rhinestone conversation heart tumbler!
I’m sure you’ve seen bedazzled tumblers all over social media lately. That’s because a cute tumbler will brighten anyone’s day and its a great way to prevent confusion when your tumbler is around other tumblers. Not all tumblers are created equal 🙂
I am constantly blinging anything and everything! And I love Valentine’s Day and I also love conversation hearts. The fun conversation heart pattern makes this the perfect gift or accessory for Valentine’s Day! I actually made this gift for myself 🙂
No more waiting 1-2 weeks for custom orders from Etsy when you can make these custom items yourself. Life’s too short for plain tumblers – it’s time to bring some bling to your daily sip of hot coffee in the morning!
I’ll be hand placing the rhinestones in this tutorial, but if you have a Cricut and some transfer tape you could also make a rhinestone template. If you do make your own conversation heart tumbler, be sure to choose the right words. I used the word “Love” but the possibilities are completely endless!
Want to learn the best hand placement techniques and how to make custom rhinestone templates? Check out my digital rhinestone course – it’s perfect for bedazzlers of all skill levels!
What type of tumbler can you bedazzle?
There are different sizes and types of tumblers, so which are the best to bedazzle? You can add rhinestones to a plain stainless steel tumbler, double-walled acrylic tumbler, or even the tumblers that come with a reusable straw or stainless steel straw. It’s easiest to make a custom rhinestone tumbler with the travel mugs that don’t have a handle and have a flat surface to work with. I chose to make a custom rhinestone tumbler with one like this one because it fits in my cup holder:
What type of rhinestones are best to bedazzle a tumbler?
If you’re not in the rhinestone world like I am, you may not know that there are tons of different rhinestone types. There are resin rhinestones, glass rhinestones, acrylic rhinestones, and crystal rhinestones. Their appearances all vary in different lights and they all have a range of different rhinestone colors.
So which rhinestones are the best to use to make a rhinestone heart tumbler? I chose to use a glass type of rhinestone because they’re high-quality rhinestones that really sparkle! I’m using different size of rhinestones for this project. Make sure you don’t use hot fix rhinestones for your custom bedazzled tumbler, because you need flat back rhinestones for the best results.
I get some of my rhinestones from Amazon, but I get the bulk of my rhinestones from this incredible rhinestone online store. Use coupon code artbeat for 10% off all purchases!
What is the best rhinestone glue to use on a tumbler?
The type of glue you use to make your rhinestone heart tumbler will make or break this project! You need a strong bond to make sure the rhinestones stay put through daily use. Even if you hand wash your bedazzled tumbler and keep it out of extreme temperatures, you need a specific glue that’s made for metal. In my experience, the best glue is Liquid Fusion or E6000 to keep your rhinestones snug and secure. Liquid fusion is lower odor, but E6000 is stronger. Rhinestones have even made it through the dishwasher with E6000! (On accident)
How to Make a DIY Rhinestone Heart Tumbler
What You’ll Need
Affiliate disclaimer: Although I stand by all of the products I use, I can receive a small commission from any products purchased via my affiliate links.
– Different Sizes of Rhinestones
I’m using size 10 clear and size 8 & 16 purple in this tutorial, but feel free to use a different color or size. It’s up to you! My favorite rhinestones are from becreateful.com. Use code artbeat for 10% off!
– Heart Sticker
– Wax Pencil or Rhinestone Picker Tool
– Rhinestone Glue
Check out this post for my guide on the best rhinestone glue!
– Rhinestone Tray (optional)
– Palette Paper
– Alcohol prep pads
– Table covering
1. The first thing you need to do is wipe down your water bottle or tumbler using the alcohol pad to remove any dirt or dust that could prevent the sticker from adhering well to the surface.
2. Carefully add the hear sticker to the tumbler. You can measure to make sure it’s right in the middle, or you can eyeball it. Make sure you like the placement before adding your rhinestones!
3. Add a small amount of the STONE SIZE 10 CRYSTAL CLEAR rhinestones to the rhinestone tray.
4. Add a very small amount of glue to the palette paper.
5. There is no “right way” to apply rhinestone glue by hand. I like to use a simple toothpick! Using the toothpick, add a thin layer of glue to the “L.” Do one letter at a time because the glue dries quickly and work in small amounts to avoid too much excess glue!
6. Using the white side of your rhinestone picker, pick up one crystal clear rhinestone from the tray by pressing on top of the rhinestone. If the rhinestones aren’t facing up, gently shake the rhinestone tray and the stones will flip so that they are flat side down.
7. Begin placing rhinestones until the entire word “LOVE” is filled in with rhinestones. Press down firmly on top of the rhinestone to make sure the stones are attached to the sticker.
PRO TIP: Use the metal side of the rhinestone picker or a pair of tweezers to gently move the rhinestones so that they are as close together as possible. The glue dries quickly, so make sure you are happy with the placement of the rhinestones before moving on to another section.
8. Put your clear rhinestones back into the container and add the STONE SIZE 8 PURPLE and the STONE SIZE 16 PURPLE together to the rhinestone tray. You will be using both sizes of purple rhinestones on the inside of the heart.
9. Using the rhinestone picker, add some small STONE SIZE 8 PURPLE rhinestones to the small spaces within the letters. Use the metal tip to move things around. Next, begin using the larger purple rhinestones—the small ones can be used to fill in tight spaces. Work on the heart until it is filled in with very few gaps.
This is called the scatter method. The tighter the pattern, the more it will sparkle!
Want to learn more hand placement techniques? Check out my digital course on How to Han Place Rhinestones Like a Pro!
10. Once finished, place any remaining rhinestones back into the pouch and add the SIZE 20 CRYSTAL CLEAR rhinestones to the tray.
11. Using your rhinestone tool, add rhinestones to the perimeter of the heart sticker.
Look at that sparkle! Don’t worry about any minor imperfections – you won’t notice them once the project is complete!
Care Instructions for your DIY Rhinestone Heart Tumbler
If you want your beautifully bedazzled tumbler to last, it’s important to give it proper care. Don’t use the tumbler right away or even the next day. Allow the glue to fully cure for at least 48 hours. Make sure to hand wash your tumbler only in with warm water and mild soap.
If you’re giving this Rhinestone Heart Tumbler as a handmade Valentine’s Day gift, make sure to include care instructions!
Step Up Your Bedazzling Skills
Want to learn about other hand-placement techniques like the honeycomb pattern? Or how to make an iron-on rhinestone patch using your cutting machine and a heat press? Check out my Bling it On Digital Rhinestone Course! It’s jam-packed with rhinestone types, different application methods, and advanced design techniques! You can also explore more rhinestone tips and tricks below for free.
[blog_posts style=”normal” type=”masonry” columns=”3″ columns__md=”1″ ids=”3067,3044,2820,2627,2606,1327,2669″ image_height=”56.25%”]