I’ve been making Bedazzled Candy Boxes for a little over two years now and they’ve been a HUGE hit! Use them as party favors, baby shower decor or display them on a candy buffet. Either way, you are sure to wow everyone!
If you are planning on making these for either a bridal shower or in lieu of treat bags, be sure to get started on these in a timely manner because you’ll need a variety of materials (you never know about shipping options when ordering supplies) and these take a lot of time to make. Trust me…this is not typically finished in one afternoon.
I do not make these for bridal showers or to give as gifts, though. My bedazzled candy boxes are framed and used as pop art for my walls. I absolutely love the way these look and love how these add sparkle to my otherwise blank walls.
Here’s What You’ll Need to Get Started Making a Bedazzled Rhinestone Candy Box*
- Candy Boxes (I recommend using cardboard or paper and not plastic)
- Glass Flat Back Rhinestones
- Rhinestone Tray
- Rhinestone Wax Pen
- Table Covering
- Alcohol Prep Pad or Rubbing Alcohol
I get some of my rhinestones from Amazon (linked above), but I get the bulk of my rhinestones from this incredible rhinestone online store. Use coupon code artbeat for 10% off all purchases!
*Look out for supplies that have free standard shipping – supplies can be expensive!
Here’s how I make my bedazzled rhinestone candy boxes:
- Gently wipe down the candy box. You will want to make sure the box is clean and dust free. Do not wipe too hard – you do not want to remove the colors and images.
- Add your rhinestones onto a tray. Personally, I prefer to only work with one color at a time. I do, however, love mixing up the sizes. I think this adds more interest and sparkle. Give the tray a slight shake to flip all of the rhinestones so that they are laying flat and ready to be picked up.
- Using your toothpick, add a small amount of glue and spread it very thin. If your glue is too thick, your rhinestone will get covered in glue and will have a cloudy appearance. To see the best glue options (in case you are not using cardboard), see this post.
- Using your wax pen, add a rhinestone to the glue. You have about 5 minutes to move your rhinestone around if you want to put it into another spot or move it towards a border. After that, you will need pliers or a dental tool to remove the crystals and this might rip the box (trust me, I learned this the hard way)!
- Complete an entire section before moving to another color. I highly recommend starting your box right in the middle and working the tight middle spaces first and then moving outwards. This takes a lot of time and patience but is a much easier strategy than jumping around and then having to add glue and rhinestones to tight spaces. Keep going until the entire box is covered with rhinestones. The candy boxes will not look great until the glue has dried completely. Once the glue is dry, take a closer look and see if you’ve covered all of your bases. If not, add more rhinestones.
FAQ’s: Frequently asked questions about using rhinestones to bedazzle candy boxes
Can you use school glue to glue down rhinetones? The short answer is yes. However, do not use school glue if you want this to last forever. School glue is best used on craft projects for kids using a lower quality rhinestone. If you spend a lot of money on rhinestones, you want them to stand the test of time.
What happens if you get glue on a rhinestone? If the glue is still wet, carefully remove it either using pliers or with your hands. Throw out the rhinestone unless you can get it clean. Personally, I do not think it is worth it to try to salvage a single rhinestone.
How long does the rhinestone glue take to dry? Most adhesives will adhere in 24-36 hours.
What other projects can be made using rhinestones? You can literally bling out anything! Check out this tutorial on how to bling crocs.
Now that you’ve mastered bedazzling…go ahead and make a candy buffet! Hey, maybe you even want to make a clear rhinestone candy scoop?! The world is your oyster! Get out there and add a little sparkle to the world! Forget gift cards, handmade gifts are the best!