You want to learn how to make felted hearts?
So you want to make a felted heart elbow patch? Needle felting is all the rage and why not add a felted heart to your elbow to spruce up those solid sweaters?! I made this felted wool heart elbow patch and now I can’t stop needle felting my entire wardrobe!
Last week I started my needle felting unit with my teen classes. If you’ve been following along, you know that I LOVE needle felting. Over the years, we’ve made pouches and animals using felted wool, but I really wanted to explore needle felting shapes onto clothing. I was shocked at how easy this is! Did you know that you can needle felt patches on just about anything? I will be spending the weekend digging out some ripped jeans from my closet…but in the meantime, here is my felted heart elbow tutorial:
Are you overwhelmed with starting this felted heart elbow patch sweater? Fear not, you don’t need much to begin and the end result will amaze you. I’ve linked the supply list below.
I’m going to teach you step by step how to make a felted heart elbow patch. Follow along for step by step instructions and if you have any questions, let me know – I am always happy to help!
What You’ll Need to make a felted heart:
- A sweater (wool or cashmere work best – but cotton seems to work well, too)
- Felting needles (I like to use a single needle plus a multi-needle tool, so this kit has it all). You’ll want to always have extras on hand because they break…often!
- Crafting foam or felting mat
- Heart cookie cutter (around 3”)
- Red or Pink roving wool or just get the whole rainbow!
Felted Heart Elbow Patches!
Felted hearts are no-sew! Everytime I mention this project, the response is typically, “but Kim, I don’t know how to sew!” While it does use a needle, it doesn’t require any thread!
I’ve seen felted heart elbow patch sweaters in stores over the years and I’m always shocked over how expensive they can be. Little did I know that these are beyond easy and anyone can make them!
Making your own felted heart elbow patches won’t break the bank plus…they’re super relaxing to make! Now let’s get into the nitty gritty and make some of these beautiful handmade hearts!
Felted Wool Heart Elbow Patch – step by step!
Here’s the breakdown on exactly how to make your felted heart sweater. You will need about 1-2 hours to make this from start to finish.
Prep and begin needle felting your heart
- Put the sweater on and determine where you will want the elbow patch to go. Put a piece of tape or mark it with some chalk. This step is important – do not assume you know where your elbows are!
- Insert the felting foam into the sleeve
- Take your cookie cutter and place it where you want the patch to go.
- Take a chunk of roving wool and pull it apart into thin wispy pieces. Place some wool inside the heart. Using your felting needle, begin stabbing the wool into the sweater. Be sure to only work in a vertical motion. If you begin to hold the needle at an angle, the needle will break – be prepared for breakage as you learn to felt. Watch out for your hands – the needles are sharp and they can really hurt!
- Once all of the wool is flattened onto the sweater, add more wool. For the middle sections it is easier to use the multi-needle tool. For the areas near the cookie cutter, use the single needle for more precision.
- Continue adding felt until there are no bald spots. Use the single needle to add precision and to clean up any blurry edges. Once you have clear margins, feel free to remove the cookie cutter and do some patching of any spots that need filling. Repeat on the other elbow.
Finishing touches to complete your felted heart
- Once the heart is complete and flat, flip the sweater inside out and carefully pull the felting foam from the sweater. It will seem like it is stuck, but if you pull slowly, it will separate from the back of the heart – I promise!
- Once you are finished and happy with your elbows, mist them with some water and iron on gentle heat. This will set your patch into place. Do not put your felted heart sweater into the dryer!
Still need more help making your felted heart sweater?
To watch my full video tutorial, watch here
To see more needle felting ideas, watch here
PRO TIP: Never hold the needle at an angle – the needle will break! Be sure to use an up and down motion each and every time!
So you loved making your felted heart?
So you loved making your felted heart elbow patch and you want more ideas? Perhaps try stars or flowers, or animals. Who wouldn’t love a needle felted animal sweater? Follow along on Youtube or Instagram for more crafty fun!
To watch the full tutorial, watch here
Want more winter crafts, check out this snowman project: https://artbeatbox.com/no-sew-sock-snowman/